Monday 28 November 2016

Chilling to some Lovers Rock

Lovers Rock was an offshoot of Reggae that came out of South London soundsystems in the 1970s and I have been a fan for what seems like forever. I mentioned in previous posts my love for reggae but most of the time the bands of the day were banging on about Jah and Babylon, which I could appreciate but it was not my culture.

It was not long before the sound found its way to multicultural Butetown, Cardiff, I remember across the road from the Paddle Steamer pub they was a group of guys, with the biggest speakers I had ever seen who would regularly bang out music including Lover’s Rock although for me it was yet to be given a name. Every time I visited my Nan, I would stop and take the vibes in.

At the time if you were to go to a school disco the smoochy last dance everyone was waiting for would be Donny Osmond or along that line with it been the only real chance to grapple with a girl all night. If you were at a dance in the multicultural Butetown Youth Centre some Lovers Rock could well be on the cards. More importantly, girls loved it and anything that could get you in with them was good.

Putting my head above the parapet “Silly Games” Janet Kay, is about the most beautiful Lovers record ever made and it made No. 2 in the charts being the defining sound of the summer 1979, her bittersweet ode to a faltering relationship, enjoyed heavy radio play. More importantly bringing the sound to the British masses.

Some of the biggest stars were women like fourteen-year-old Louisa Mark and her 1975 single "Caught You in a Lie" is regarded as the first lover’s rock single. A truly beautiful song for someone so young. Another favourite Sandra Cross and off the top of my head “I adore you” and “Put It On” were some top tunes and I also favoured the woman voice over the males there is something sensual about the female voice smoothing out some Lovers Rock.

My tastes are still in classic Lovers Rock.

Silly Games ... Janet Kay


Caught You In A Lie ... Louisa Marks


Sandra Cross ... Put It On


No comments:

Post a Comment