Sunday 11 June 2017

Sunday Crush – Helen Morgan - Miss World


Back in the seventies, Miss World on TV was massive and a family affair with newspapers joying in the fun with a sweepstakes kit on the runners and riders. I always enjoyed perusing the newspapers picking a hopeful winner but cover my base with more than one.

Back to the crush and that would be Helen Morgan winner of Miss United Kingdom earned Morgan the right to represent the United Kingdom in Miss World. Her route to Miss World was not straightforward.

She represented Wales in the Miss Universe 1974 pageant, where she finished first runner-up to some Spanish bird who won. When she resigned as Miss Universe before the end of her reign, the crown was not offered to Morgan or any other runner-up.

Winning Miss United Kingdom had earned the right for Morgan to represent the United Kingdom in the Miss World competition in 1974. She was reported to be reluctant to enter the Miss World competition for unknown reasons. Then that the last minute she said yes to being a stand-in when another competitor dropped out. After winning news broke that she was an unmarried mum with a young son and resigned after four days after pressure from the Miss World Organisation who thought it was detrimental to have a single mother representing them.

She was smoking hot and a little bit of me fell in love with her and was really excited to find out she lived in Penarth I was practically neighbours with a Miss World winner. Perfect girlfriend material if I was not a 14-year-old schoolboy with a crush on a woman. There have been close to 20 posts on the subject of ‘Sunday Crush’ and there will be more but she has a bit more of me than everyone else.


Miss Morgan was the only one of my celebrity crush I have seen in real life. I said she was nearly a neighbour and about 6 months after Miss World I saw her shopping in Cardiff City centre and she look just as good in real life as on the TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment