Thursday 8 June 2017

Election Day ... Who will it be

So it is here Election Day and by 10pm, we could have an idea of the outcome when the exit poll is announced. The Tories may not get the landslide they were hoping for at the start of the election. Labour could do better than anyone expected, we will see.

We can see I voted for Labour after I decided NOT to spoil my voting slip. My vote is not for Corbyn and is left leaning comrades my vote is for a good local Labour candidate for Cardiff West Kevin Brennan.

The last minute polls yesterday were all over the place with pollsters determined to get the polls right this time. In Wales the surge that showed the possibility of the Tories must have been a blip the latest poll (conducted between 5-7 June) showed Labour on 46% and the Conservatives on 34%. Elsewhere, Plaid Cymru are on 9%, the Liberal Democrats and UKIP are on 5% apiece, and votes for other parties stand at 1%.

In 2015, exit polls correctly predicted the shock Conservative victory, after earlier polls forecast a hung parliament.

Some are saying Theresa May will be lucky to keep her majority from the last parliament and that could see the knives out for her. However, the final polls last night are giving the Tories the win by a landslide victory over Labour. Corbyn has already made it known that if Labour are to lose he will stay on as leader of the Labour party and with his Corbynistas, he is unlikely to be pushed out.

Despite suggestions on Wednesday morning that Jeremy Corbyn’s Labour had slashed the gap leading the UK towards a hung parliament, a poll by ICM for the Labour supporting Guardian put Theresa May’s Tories ahead by a huge 12-point lead.

He may not win the job of Prime Minister but he campaigned better I believe he got is views over. While Theresa May had a poor campaign with too much talk of Brexit. The TV debates that were not gave us about the only time Corbyn was under pressure not being surrounded by his supporters. I feel both were right not to go head to head which normally turns into a slanging match.

Figures, figures in the end when the ballot papers are counted tonight and tomorrow we will know. I have my plans for tonight staying up waiting for the official announcement of the winner, which I have done even before I could vote because the whole process fascinates me.

No comments:

Post a Comment