Thursday 22 February 2018

Welsh-noir Craith - TV Review


I am binge watching the Welsh language drama Craith that the moment on S4C on catch up and it’s been very enjoyable it’s an attempt to do another Hinterland by having dark bad things happen out in the pretty Welsh countryside.

Unlike Hinterland, which I watched in the English/Welsh language, I watched this via subtitles a first for me watching in the full Welsh language. I watch a lot of European drama in subtitles so it doesn’t matter to me. An English version will be broadcast later in the year on the BBC probably on BBC Wales and BBC4 but we will see under the title (Hidden).

I heard about Craith by chance on twitter and the chatter got me interested to seek it out. The interest comes from all the Scandi-noir influence on British TV mostly from the BBC and Channel 4 who much to my disappointment have been box setting the dramas after showing the opening episode. I can now had Welsh-noir to the list.

The moody and rugged scenery of Snowdonia and its surrounding area is the eerily beautiful setting for Craith. The series tells the story of detective DS Cadi John, played by Sian Rees Williams and D.S. Owen Vaughan (Sion Alun Davies)

Here, a girl appears to commit suicide, but it seems she’s probably been kept captive somewhere for some time before the event, and the police have to investigate. Enter DI Cadi John, who’s returned to her hometown to care for her ailing dad. We first meet these two as they have a quiet chat by the side of a gorgeous-looking lake, the sky smudged grey behind them. However, a phone call soon has DI John on her way to a crime scene and a body.

The rest is the normal fare for this kind of show with a few twist, turns to keep you on your toes, and is well acted. The badie here is about the moodiest character I have come across in a while who wasn’t paid for dialogue.

I have to say Craith has been an absolute cracker and I am looking forward to the finale on Sunday – an intriguing story with great, natural characters and stunningly shot and directed.

No comments:

Post a Comment