Thursday 31 December 2015

The first annual Peter Ugarte Couch Potato Awards – My Favourite TV shows 2015

Everywhere at the present moment it all about reviews of the last year be it news, film and TV. I spend a lot of time watching the goggle box and I am always ready to give an opinion on what I like and don’t so here are my best shows/programmes of the year.

To ever been known as the 'Ufartes'

Best Drama
Wolf Hall, BBC - The acting was  impeccable. Mark Rylance plays a remarkable Cromwell, completely making you believe in the  character he played. I've always enjoyed Damian Lewis, so it was no surprise his Henry VIII didn't disappointed me in the least. But Claire Foy, what a talented, lovely interpretation!

They, together with Saskia Reeves (an excellent actress), Jessica Raine and a constellation of great actors make Wolf Hall a truly powerful experience to view more than once.
The production boasts of a marvellous attention to detail, from indoors decoration to costumes, behaviours and dining-- a pleasure to relish on.

  • Runner-up Fortitude, Sky Atlantic
  • Highly Recommend 1864, BBC
Best Comedy
Peter Kay's Car Share BBC - Peter Kay struck gold again with a comedy that made me  laugh out loud. Fans of Phoenix nights will not be disappointed with Peter Kay's return to the small screen. The writing and acting is in turns funny, witty, and poignant. The first episode will have you laughing out loud and as the series progresses you will build an affinity with the characters that makes them endearing.

This is a do not miss programme which will no doubt be a talking point in any workplace, with abundant quotations and subtle humour that will require the viewer to replay episodes to see what they missed. I hope that the second series is commissioned, as I  want to no what happens between these two.

  • Runner-up 8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown, C4
  • Highly Recommend Russell Howard's Good News, BBC

Best Sports Show
Football Focus, BBC - I have watched Football Focus since I first found my love of Football when it was incorporated into the Saturday BBC sports show Grandstand. Former Arsenal goalkeeper Bob Wilson was the main presenters Before the Premiership, you would get reports from around the leagues more than today, and they were competitions like the longest throw in and loudest fans.

Today I am still an avid viewer but it is mostly about the Premiership with the odd nod towards the Football League.

  • Runner-up Soccer Saturday, Sky Sports
  • Highly Recommend Final Score BBC

Best Reality Show
The Great British Bake Off  BBC - I have no idea why I like this show because I hate cakes but for a good slice of Madeira. Plain and simple like me while most of the stuff baked makes me feel cold.

I know it’s popular that can be seen in the viewing figures. Why would upto10 million Britons switch on their TV sets each Wednesday evening to watch a baking contest filmed in a tent in the countryside and why am I one of them. I like the presenters Sue Perkins and Mel Giedroyc, and their Carry On-style humour. The judges – the grandmotherly, Mary Berry, and the eye candy Paul Hollywood do a great job judging.

The mixed bag of contestants all so help the show along so much so you find yourselves investing in then. Maybe that’s the secret of the show.

  • Runner up Celebrity Big Brother C5
  • Highly Recommend

Best Chat Show
The Graham Norton Show, BBC - He is ace at is job the best on TV at the moment and I love the show. I gets the best guest leaving the other to full there sofas with reality Z listers and soap stars. Norton also has the knack of getting his guest off message to open up with some very amusing outcomes.

I was look forward to Friday nights when he is on.

  • Runner-up Backchat BBC2
  • Highly Recommend Last Leg C4

Best Documentary
The Hunt BBC - The Hunt was a highlight of the year, and I was delighted to hear David Attenborough voicing of the show. Watching nature documentaries without his voice over and his participation just don’t seem right. You get what you expect from the BBC nature department, quality preparation, and utterly incredible camera work.

Hard to pick out a favourite sequence but the wild dogs did it for me it was breath-taking camera work. They are very social animals and live in packs that are usually dominated by a breeding pair, the alphas. We see them work as a pack chasing down a wildebeest if the lead dogs tires one of the other dogs takes the lead and once they target dinner they don’t give up, impressive.

  • ShowRunner-up Alaska: Earth's Frozen Kingdom BBC
  • Highly Recommend  An Island Parish BBC

Best News
BBC - The BBC wins hands down with its news coverage it’s much better than the only other 24 news organisation Sky News no wonder the Sky bosses are always looking for ways giving the BBC grief about competition.

There have been a lot of big stories in 2015 too many to list making for some interesting coverage. There is many changes happening to the BBC and there is talk of BBC News 24 being one of the casualties

Best International
Game of Thrones Sky Atlantic - This section was by far the hardest to pick a top show internationally there were some great stuff out there to be viewed. In the end, I just thought which one I was looking forward to watching in 2016, not that hard, Game of Thrones.

I would think everyone has heard of ‘Game of Thrones’ even if in this country few have seen it stuck out on Sky Atlantic a channel Sky subscribers can view. That leave the rest of the UK with the option of a box set or iffy internet stream.
My only disappointment is with the ‘Stark’ family who are constantly being killed off. Still there are a few left and the whole of the new series to thin them out at the writers’ pleasure.

  • Runner up The Walking Dead Fox
  • Highly Recommend Storage Wars History Channel

No comments:

Post a Comment