Monday 9 May 2016

Sandwiches I like - Food - With butter of course

A onion sandwich
I was thinking last night as I tucked into a plate of salmon (tin) and pickled onions sandwiches what is my favourite fillings. I love a sandwich and prefer white bread to brown. It is a family tradition I have carried through since childhood teatime sandwiches on a Sunday or something on toast. But I do prefer a sandwich or two.

With the family always having a full Sunday cooked dinner between 12:30 and 1:30pm, we always had a quick snack at teatime and we do today. Meat left over from the Sunday roast or out of the fridge, it was light, quick, and easy for mum and myself after slaving over the cooker all morning.

There is quite a lot I would eat slapped between two slices of bread but I am pretty safe with most meats nothing too exotic. A nightmare would be cheese and mayo, the dreaded mayo, the spread of choice in many a sandwich these days even in my house by some of the household, everyone except me.

A sandwich that floats my boat is a boiled egg/ham and tomato on white bread with full butter or the light butter stuff, which is supposed to be better for you. Sausage and bacon must be white bread the above sandwich may be ok on brown bread but not with this filling. Together or separate, heaven with some brown sauce. A touch to healthy eating I sometimes substitute sauce with sliced tomatoes baked in the oven. The bread has to be on the chunky side, full butter a must with a drizzle of the fat from the pan. I am licking my lips.

Another favourite ingredient is the humble pickled onion. I like them with Ham or Salmon (tin) with the previous suggestions e.g. white bread and butter. Can anything beat a simple Spam sandwich or Chopped Ham and Pork with the Spam Company trademarking the name Spam? The original Spam only comes in tins although I can remember buying it sliced pre-packed but not seen it sold like that in years.

That would be my top five but I would like to share a hidden delicious delicacy with you. A fried onions sandwich with brown sauce a Spanish onion are the best to use. Another sandwich I would recommend would be a mash potato with sauce of your choice such an easy make.

No comments:

Post a Comment