Saturday 14 January 2017

Howl (2015) - Film Review

Not the greatest, but very watchable when your wife has control of the TV and remote control leaving me with my laptop and YouTube. I had two hours to kill and I was lucky to land myself on a nice little film.

When it comes to British werewolf films, ‘Dog Soldiers’ is the dog’s bollocks but I enjoyed this offering to the werewolf genre. The plot was predictable, the title the giveaway, and being British, the badie was going to be a werewolf over a wolf. The introduction to the characters was establish quickly they all seemed likely to be nice food for the werewolves. I quickly picked the hero and likely to survive, hero yes, survive well not quite.

What you have with 'Howl' is a group of strangers trapped on a train, which has broken down in the middle of nowhere - the rest is your typical stalk and slash formula. Joe, a ticket collector tells the group to secure themselves in the carriage but soon the creature is stalking the train, picking them off one- by-one. When a werewolf gets on the train during a vicious battle they manage to kill the creature, however, celebrations are cut short when they hear more howls coming from the forest.

Werewolf movies stand or fall on the quality of their monster and this one has very good werewolves, quite different from the usual model but definitely scary. They rather reminded me of Morlocks' from the film ‘The Time Machine’ but a lot scarier and not blue. If I came across one of these in a forest at night, I might actually soil myself, no I would soil myself without a doubt.

They are not pretty. The scariest part of a wolfman is the man, not the wolf. I hate movies where the monster is kept in the shadows all the way through but this one gets its bad boys out early and shows them off.

The humans are well done too. Good realistic acting with almost no stupid "why are they doing that stupid thing?" moments. The action scenes are violent, bloody, and claustrophobic. If you like, werewolf movies this one is definitely worth your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment