Wednesday 23 August 2017

Early morning trip to the Bakery

Last week while on the bus going to the dentist on reaching Victoria Park, Cowbridge Road Cardiff East I noted many new shops/eateries had opened up directly across the road from Victoria Park. One in particular caught my eye ‘Pettigrew Bakeries’.

Looking in from the bus it looked beautiful from what I could see I deemed a visit was on the cards. I should have checked their opening times as I popped up Monday before meeting friend Gillian on the only day there were shut so lesson learnt.

So today I had an appointment were the nurse over the Health Centre and I decided to shoot up to Vicky Park on the bus and have a lookies at the shop and jump back on the bus in time for my appointment.

The bakery opens Tuesday to Saturday 7:30am to 4:30pm and Sunday - 8:30am to 1pm baking both traditional and Artisan breads.

On entering the shop, the smells were to die for with the oven cooking up a new batch of bread and the smell and colours of the different cakes/pastries helped with the ambiance of the shop. There was plenty of breads to choose from but a large white Sandwich loaf caught my eye and I asked for it to be sliced large and oh boy compared to other bakeries I have try this was a thick cut. The nurse wasn’t happy as the conversation turned to dieting later at the Clinic. But I could not wait to get home and try it toasted and later a sandwich.

I toasted the crust at the end of the loaf. I just love the crust. It was an excellent piece of bread baked in house and tasted much better than the mass-produced rubbish out there people will pay for a quality product.

I bought a Belgian Bun for the wife but there was a lot of cakes and other pastries to choose from and I picked up a sausage roll for myself, a £2.50 sausage roll! I just had to try it. I was somewhat surprised it wasn’t baked in house but supplied by Coopers of Shrewsbury.

The sausage roll was short and stubby but I still cut it in half to try it hot and cold. Cold or hot, they were a tasty treat the pastry was bronzed to perfection and delicious and the sausage meat filling was flavour some and packed. Maybe they are working on their own sausage product. The Bun when down a treat with the wife and few more brownie points to yours truly.

Later I had some equally lovely ham sandwiches and you can guarantee I will be making many a re-visit to Pettigrew Bakeries’.

No comments:

Post a Comment