Sunday 12 August 2018

The Road to Wembley begins again


I nearly missed the opening of the FA Cup yesterday the news just slipped me by and thankfully, I was reminded while watching Football Focus. Last season the BBC via the iPlayer showed a game from the Extra Preliminary Round and it was back again. Well down BBC. I decide to watch this game over Sky Sports offering of Newcastle v Tottenham.

The BBC camera (yes just one camera on the centre line) headed for Haverhill Rovers who were taking on neighbours Haverhill Borough and when I say, neighbours their grounds are virtually next to one another. Rovers claimed the bragging rights in this Suffolk derby winning 2-0 in front of a bumper crowd of 602.

I picked my team to follow a few weeks ago, United Services Portsmouth who played Andover Town both of whom play in the Wessex League Division One. I was not at the game but reading match reports on the internet it was a closely fought first half a 1-1 was a fair refection of the half. But in the second, the home team stepped up a gear with the game ending 5 – 2 and United Services Portsmouth FC progress into the next round.

Winning clubs will receive £2,250 from The FA prize fund, with the losers each picking up £750.

The Preliminary Round next with another home fixture against Sholing FC after they beat Knaphill FC 0 – 3. Sholing FC play a league above them in the Wessex Premier League.

Preliminary Round - United Services Portsmouth v Sholing FC Att
The Extra Preliminary Round - United Services Portsmouth FC 5 – 2 Andover Town FC Att -

No comments:

Post a Comment