Wednesday 29 July 2015

Tesco - Steak Pie

After reviewing four pies in my ‘Rate my Pie’ posts I knew eventually I would hit a right donkey, ok compared to the others, this one is the Tesco Steak Pie.
 
Out of the oven the top of the pie coloured well and crisped up a bit, which was a good point but looking pretty doesn’t make a pie. It was definitely a plate pie if you were to try picking it up it would have broken up in your hand. Before my eyes, the pie seemed to deflate as the filling put pressure on the side as if it wanted to burst out.
 
On cutting the pie in half the filling just oozed out over the plate but on the upside I could see a fair amount of steak pieces for a lower cost pie. The steak was very tender often these cheaper pies suffer from poor quality meat although the steak was a bit chewy. The gravy was very runny and it tested ok and nothing to write home about to be honest I had a better one of these pies before. It is something I expect from mass produced pies.
 
The slightly soggy bottom to the pie was also expected with the policy to have the thinnest of pastry. Even without the tray, the pastry still is wafer thin. It is no good just concentrating on the filling without giving the same thought to the pastry. In the end, I couldn’t see me kicking down the door of Tesco’s to get my hands on another anytime soon.
 
Rate this Pie 5

No comments:

Post a Comment