Friday 27 October 2017

Nostalgic Memory of Breakfast

I made my wife her breakfast this morning she wanted Weetabix/milk and a touch of boiling water to warm it up. It’s very rare I do anything but toast for breakfast but as I made it, a whiff took me straight back to my childhood.

It was how I liked my Weetabix back in the day and I could picture myself sitting at the table shovelling it down, as I was eager to get to school. When I make it for myself now, it never tastes the same as my memory of my mums. Maybe I lost the taste.

Yes, there was a time when I was desperate to get to school but by secondary school that quickly changed. St Cuthbert’s my junior school it was different we raced to get in.

Most mornings it was warm Weetabix interspersed with plain toast all you really need for a snack that was until years later I found and fell in love with the full breakfast. Not as if I have, one all the time but when I do it is a treasured moment that nothing beats the memory as a kid and Wednesday mornings.

You would think with the build-up I would be talking of something special Toasted truffle maybe but no nothing so fancy. I will explain! It involved me running around the corner shop which was funny enough just around the corner, Marion's for any locals reading this post. There besides collecting my brother and mine comics I would exit the shop with a fresh French sticks not a ruddy Baguette as they weren’t round back then and they are not the same.

So what did mum do with a French stick that was so special? Nothing. But for slicing it up and putting a big dollop of butter on a piece of French stick, not toasted or anything just plain crusty bread and butter. Some people might be scratching their heads over this but I found it heaven and still do today but it must be full on butter.

A foot note to this just moments ago the wife rolled up to me asked if I fancied to share half of what looked like a stubby French stick but it was a Baguette so I gave her a few short words. The best place in Cardiff, my home town, to buy a French stick is Burton's the Bakers or the Bread Shop at Cardiff's Indoor Market.

No comments:

Post a Comment