Thursday 26 July 2018

1976 - It was hot

Some people love this heatwave as reminded me of 1976 it was hot really hot. When out and about I try to stick to the shady side of the street/road. I don’t do sitting around the garden either a personal hate the idea of a BBQ unless I can sit inside. I have not always been a hater of the sun that was until the summer of 1976. That summer did for me and turned me into a summer time Grinch.

The summer of 1976, was hot and not for a few days or a week but it seemed to drag on all summer and beyond. If I weren’t in my bed my I would be sleeping in the open over the park or around the riverbank, 16 years old just left school and exercising my new found freedoms. Interspersed with some job seeking it was a time mostly for lazing about which was the name of the game for me.

1976 Blackweir (library picture)
The River Taff was our swimming pool and it was free. Soon has the tide started to come in we would mass about and a bit of swimming and messing around with raft we made or found. At one stage, the lower end of the Taff dried up and it was surreal to walk along the riverbed and watch the tide come in later. We would hit the bikes and cycle up Blackweir to hang out just to feel some kind of breeze. Trips to the Empire Pool and Guildford Crescent baths were always a fun place to hang out

Then it was off a bike ride to Cosmeston (lake) limestone quarry, which had filled in with water when the pumps stopped. Swimming was frond upon and could get you into trouble. The police the area from time to time but with so many people hanging out the authorities could do little. If you did swim there, one thing you will never forget was how cold the water was, freezing. It’s now incorporated into a very popular country park.

We needed money to go to Barry Island but the odd trip was made along with the less exciting Penarth with the trains particularly to Barry full. It was our little Blackpool with all the fun of the fair and lovely sandy beach but the arcades were my downfall leaving little spare money for the rides.
The rest of that summer, we just chilled out lazing around the park making half-hearted attempts to kick a ball about or watching the cardsharps playing brag.

How I am a old fart hiding from the sun in the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment