Monday 23 July 2018

The Welsh and FA Cup teams picked for another journey.


I am so looking forward to the start of the season even if my team (Cardiff) are certainties for relegation if you believe the football pundits and bookies, bullshit I cry wait and see is my reply. However, I am also looking forward to the start of the Welsh Cup and FA Cup and finding a team to take me on a journey to the final. I have being doing it for years before the internet and always had a good bit of fun. Unlike before the internet now you can find information on all clubs thanks to social media and a general internet search.

So who will I start the journey to the Welsh Cup final with …

I always start with a Cardiff base team I was surprised that, Aberystwyth Exiles are Cardiff based playing in the Cardiff Combination League have entered the JD Welsh Cup for the very first time and face a trip to Welsh League outfit Treharris Athletic.

Checking the South East draw there were seven teams from Cardiff and only one drawn home, Cardiff Corinthians. They play out of Taff Wels ground ‘The Riverside’ Station Road, Radyr and play in the South Wales Alliance League Premier Division. They face Wattsville FC in the Qualifying Round 1, so I have my team - until they lose.

In the FA Cup Extra Preliminary round the team, I chose …

United Services Portsmouth were known has Portsmouth Royal Navy FC before changing there name in 2004. I rather liked the idea about following a service team. The change of name also marked the opening up of the side to players from all of the armed services as well as civilians. Since the name change, the club has remained in the Wessex League Division One.

They are home to fellow Wessex League Division One team Andover Town and both teams know whom they play in the next round either Knaphill or Sholing. Last season the BBC showed a game from the opening round to the final, but thoroughly enjoyed watching the earlier rounds. I hope we will see more of the same this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment