Friday 20 July 2018

Turning homes into mini power stations

A Micro-Hydro station
I am sweating my balls off looking through the back door at the box with our new garden furniture I just do not have the energy to get started. To the sun worshipers, I hate all the sunshine we have been having but wait a minute I have to get back to the reason for this post, energy.

We are missing a trick with the heatwave and in general, I think the government should looking into turn house into a mini power station. If that was to happen, excess energy could be sold to the national grid, which would be beneficial to the country and put money in the people’s pocket or it could offset the cost of your bill.

There are a number of systems you could have installed and use singular or together. I like the idea of Geothermal Energy where by a giant storage heater is buried a few metres below the surface, the soil maintains a constant temperature of 11-12°Celsius in the UK. By feeding a coil into the ground and pumping water through it, the earth doubles up as an efficient central heating system.

One of the three different sorts of solar energy technology, PV (Photovoltaic Cells) is the most expensive but potentially the easiest to manage and maintain and then we have wind turbine (modern-day windmill) which has rotors fitted with aerodynamic blades, attached to a generator.

I myself would love to generate power via Micro-hydro and harness the power of run water. Recent advances have made it viable for use in properties with only a small natural water supply but you still need access to water, a river or stream and cash all three I don’t have and never will but I can dream.
Clearly, the prospect of a typical house turning itself into a mini-power station is still some years off in large numbers anyway but what about new builds. Even with the grants on offer, prices will have to fall to bring these options into the budgets of most households. Meanwhile, the big power suppliers are starting to plug into their own renewable sources and pass on the benefits to customers.

Has I just finished this blog, it only started to rain, lightly and will not hang around for long.

No comments:

Post a Comment