Wednesday 30 March 2016

The Rat Patrol - Sixties - TV Show

I caught up with an old TV show from back in the sixties The Rat Patrol, which I had a distant memory of but thanks to the internet was able to relive.


The TV show was American made but was based on the exploits of the real-life British Long Range Desert Group so we have three Americans and a Briton zipping around the desert fighting the Afrika Korps in North Africa during World War II. It was pulled from the BBC after six episodes due to British viewers taking offense at the dominance of American characters on the show (50+ were shown in the USA). Veterans from the desert war were unhappy with two American jeeps with small guns mounted on them could defeat anything the Germans threw at them.


They would dash around the desert in jeeps mounted with 50” calibre machine guns and for the brief time it was on, I was hooked. I wanted a jeep with a machine gun optional. It was awesome, a couple jeeps busting of the top of sand dune in the air and then proceed to destroy a heavily armed German convoy. Really, boys own stuff that captivated me and could be where my interest in war came from. I would ride up and down the street on my bike pretending I was in the desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment