Wednesday 6 March 2019

A Wednesday Afternoon TV Schedule - March 1975

We are spoiled for TV these days, so many channels and so much to watch and even if you cannot find something, there are DVDs and the likes of Netflix to extend your search. Today after watching the News at 1pm, I caught up with the new Simpsons that I saved thanks to new technology before ending my afternoon watching “Funeral in Berlin” on Film4.

A full afternoon but what was it like back in the day when I was a teenager from memory not up to much so time to do some research with the internet to find out what an average Wednesday was like. I decided to look into 1975; I just turned 15 my birthday was on the Saturday before and with only three channels to watch.

I have to say the BBC offering at the time was dire basing the look form around 1pm they offered a five minutes of news and at 1pm the news magazine show Pebble Mill comprised celebrity chat, music, cookery, previews of up-and-coming programmes, film reviews), and travel reports. Mum loved it and if I were off school, she would sit there, Woodbine in hand transfixed. Followed at 1:45pm by something for youngsters, Bagpuss or Fingerbobs before Closedown at 2pm for 2 hours. BBC 2 was a no go but for around an hour in the morning it was Closedown until 6pm.

Sometimes the BBC would show For Schools, Colleges at teaching aid boring really.

ITV commercial channel offered more kicking off with First Report (News) at 1pm and at the end a 5 minutes a roundup of local news. On the half hour, there was Crown Court. At 2pm, another favourite of my mum’s Houseparty where a group of woman sit around chatting with lashings of tea and coffee about knitting patterns, news about their daughter’s wedding or mothers in hospital, making me irate for a half an hour. 

Next up was a drama series called Rooms telling stories of the tenants living in a Victorian house converted into bed-sits. At 3pm in was time for The Persuaders, which was having a run at this time, which could change. I can remember Sam and Hadleigh both favourites in this time schedule. Persuaders was an action/adventure/comedy series starring Tony Curtis and Roger Moore and entertaining and a bevy of pretty woman for this growing teenager to ogle.

No comments:

Post a Comment