Sunday 3 March 2019

The Welsh Cup Moves on to the Semi-Final

After the disappointment of another Cardiff defeat, it was Welsh Cup Quarter Finals with my route to the final in the arms of Barry United. The Welsh Premier league club face the lowest team left in the competition Cambrian & Clydach who play in the Welsh League Division 1 and are pushing hard in their league.

The game was live on Sgoroi on S4C and the weather was foul at Barry’s Jenner Park, but I was sitting at home watching the game on my laptop nice and warm. It was a good game I was impressed with the visitors.

Barry soon took the lead within 10 minutes of kick-off and I thought here we go thinking of the rout of Llandudno 8-1 by The New Saints earlier in the day. But it was not to be with the visitors fighting back to go in at half time with a 2-1 lead, was there a possibility of a giant killing. I know I was riding on the coat tails of Barry but I found myself wishing for another shock win by Cambrian & Clydach over the Welsh Premier League club after beating them on their run to the Nathaniel MG Cup final.

Barry level the score in the 65 minute, took the lead 10 minutes later and the 3-2 scoring line would stand to the final whistle. Kayne McLaggon's was the hat-trick hero of the game and are in the hat for the draw tomorrow along with Cardiff Met, New Saints, and Connah's Quay.

I bang on about a Cardiff based team reaching the final and there is still a chance with Cardiff Met in the semi-final draw after overcoming Bala Town 1-0 in extra time. It’s been a while since the Welsh Cup has come home to Cardiff could this be the year.

Route to the Welsh Cup final (Bold my Team)

Quarter Final – Barry Town United 3–2 Cambrian & Clydach
Fourth, Round – Barry Town United 3-2 Cefn Druids
Third Round - Ynysddu Welfare 1-3 Cefn Druids
Second Round – Monmouth Town 1-3 Ynysddu Welfare
First Round – Undy Athletic 3-4 Monmouth Town
Second Round Qualifying - Monmouth Town 4-2 Wattsville
First Round Qualifying - Treharris Western Athletic 8-1 Aberystwyth Exiles

No comments:

Post a Comment