Sunday 10 March 2019

Pie Review - Pie Porium Minced Beef And Onion Pie

It was National Pie Week last week, I was yet to find a pie to review, and then one fell into my hands.

I have been waiting for this pie for some time having spotted it was for sale. I have previously tried the Steak and Ale pie and it was good but I am not a fan of the mix. The worst pie I have tried to eat was a steak and Guinness pie and I still have nightmares about it. I am an old fashion pie eater, which is difficult in today’s market where you can get say a curry pie, I like a curry but not in a pie.

I was over the moon when I saw they made a good old-fashioned Minced Beef and Onion Pie it was just down to getting my hands on one. The pies are home made locally by Pie Porium and use the meat from Oriel Jones the butchers Cowbridge Rd East, Canton who will be soon opening a second shop in the Pontcanna area so I knew the meat was quality just the gravy was the unknown and that can make or kill a pie.

Often a minced beef pie can suffer from having a minced meat filling that doesn’t quite hit the spot but like I said, I knew where this mince was from and have had it before. Most pies tend to be fill with inferior meats, scrapes, and why I avoid mass produced pies as a rule.

I picked up my pie earlier from my butchers having pre ordered it via Twitter for collection and run into the pie maker himself and thankfully, he looks like a guy who likes a pie.

Took it out of the bag and it looked really impressive bigger than I thought and was sturdily built, I wasn’t complaining, and a plus it came without a pie tray, which I have a bit of a thing about, I hate them. I couldn’t wait to get it in the oven on a medium heat. I was willing to have it for breakfast but I wanted to take a few pictures of the said pie but had to put my phone on charge, so was forced to wait.
As I was expecting the meat was lovely and tender, flavoursome with plenty of minced beef leaving me wanting more and I believe I could have done the family size pie on my own. The pastry was crisp, flaky, and complimented the filling beautifully. But if failed my test as a pie you could eat in your hand, this pie anyway so for now I will class it as a plate pie. That’s me being really fussy.

The whole pie was balance well with the moist filling and the gravy makes this Minced Beef and Onion pie really stand out. There is no skimping on the filling of this pie it was full to the brim everyone likes to feel they are getting there monies worth, with this pie you do.

At a cost of £3.45, it is not cheap but I will always pay the extra for a well-made product and this pie was more than worth it. For £8.95, you can purchase a family size pie. I am now looking forward to the whole experience, pie, chips, and mushy peas.

Rate this Pie 10/10



The pies are available in the Canton, Cardiff area at Pettigrow Bakes and The Crafty Celler and soon at Oriel Jones. You can contact the pie maker via Twitter HERE and watch out for his special pies like is Breakfast Pie.



No comments:

Post a Comment