Sunday 15 November 2015

Our Song

While watching Strictly Come Dancing last night one of the couples dance to one of my favourite ‘pop’ songs A Little Respect" by the duo Erasure. While reminiscing with the wife it opened up a memory and you all know I love a memory.

This memory involves my wedding day and my attempts to get a record played. After a few attempts I was finally told the next song would be for us so I hit the phone to tell my future wife, Glenys, our record would be on next to make sure she was listening.

I had no choice on the record being played I was told next on the wedding congratulation list so I sat back. The presenter came on and said something like “Peter and Glenys are getting married today. I should know we have been inundated with messages.” I think it was me who ‘inundated’ the radio station with requests with my relenting previous phone calls.

Our song was the love ballad Nikita sung by Elton John. I knew the video at the time where John is in love with this hot East German border guard and he couldn’t cross the Berlin Wall to meet her so basically stalking her from a distance. Not the song I would have picked but I was happy with it.

It was a while later I found out the real meaning of the song. Nikita in Eastern Europe can also be a man's name and although he was married at the time, it was about the longing for another man. Oh well it is still a love song and our song and brings us happy memories every time we hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment