Monday 22 May 2017

Flat Pack Mansions - I have a Dream

Last night was my kind of heaven on Channel 4. First Flat Pack Mansions followed by Cabins in the Wild a build-it-yourself feast with lots of wood but for this post, I am going to concentrate on Flat Pack Mansions because this is where my heart belongs.

In the programme, three couples were followed from the arrival of their flat pack homes to the signing off on completion. I have a dream that will need a sizable lottery win so it is likely to stay a fantasy. However, I am a nerd who has researched the possibility of a project even picked the company I would like to use, sad really but that is me all over.

Lucky for me one of the couples used the company I would use myself if my fantasy were ever become reality. Pizza restaurant entrepreneurs Richard and Nikki Cooper plan to build a 5000-square foot home in just four days, using a German company. Their lavish pre-fabricated house built in a factory in Germany was shipped over complete.

Finished 
It only took three days not four days to have a watertight property that on a normal build would take months for a similar size house brick and block built. Upon arrival, the first floor was successfully installed on day one, the second on day two and by day three, the roof was added. It came with all the electrics and plumbing fixed in place with all the large items like a kitchen, bathroom available from the same company. In fact, just about everything from flooring to a letterbox is available via your personal consultant.

Yes this was a mansion but why don’t local authorities look to pre-fab housing as an idea to help with the chronic housing shortage. The new pre-fab housing as left well behind the image of those built after the Second World War and with the quick build the council’s and the like could really make a dent in the homeless figures.

No comments:

Post a Comment