Thursday 14 February 2019

Keep Your Valentine


Here I go again announcing my hate for Valentine’s Day and the hated sham of a celebration. One day of the year, you are commercially forced to declare your love for your wife/husband, partner, girlfriend/boyfriend, or secret admirer. Join me on my Valentine Day the 15th its sale day when you can pick up your trash for half or less the price if you want to.

I don’t know why we have a Valentine Day forced upon us but it’s not hard to miss with the mass consumerist melee inspired by greetings card companies. The second the Christmas cards were out the door in come the Valentine cards and when that’s over time to stock up for Easter. In my book, the only people that end up happy are the companies selling the tat because most of it will end up in the bargain box come the next day.

My wife is forever telling me that like me, she doesn’t like Valentine’s Day but I think she does. Therefore, this is the first time I have not brought her anything, not even a card. We will see how that goes down later in the day.

My hatred of the whole Valentine thing doesn’t stem from the fact I only received three Valentine cards as a youngster in over ten years in school, I am not bitter. It hurt a bit to feel unloved or unfancied when your friends ‘allegedly’ are loading up with cards, or they tell you they have. What proof do you have your mate is awash with cards, their word. I would have liked to know who sent me those three cards one I received in secondary school with possibility it was a joke having found it in my desk and the other two were locally received. Come on girls if you are out there if you read this I would just like to know.

My pockets feel fuller this morning but we have yet to venture to the shops but I believe I am more than capable of keeping my hands tightly in my pocket and its beneficial when the wife declares there is no need for me to come shopping. She is under orders I want and expect nothing, not even a card … I have warned her as I always do.

No comments:

Post a Comment