Thursday 21 February 2019

More Sevenites Nostalgia - Dalek, Butlin's and Flares

Was it possible you could buy a life size model of a Dalek and why did I not know this at one point we had the Marshall Ward catalogue but mum did not like using it preferring to deal with Granada TV rental and later Telebank who would sell toys and other items from a van. I do not remember seeing a Dalek in the back of the van.

I would have loved one better still if you could clamber into one and roll down the street shouting Exterminate! Exterminate! It would have been such fun. I was never afraid of the Daleks once I realised all I needed to do was run upstairs to escape them.

A local advertisement for Barry Butlin’s when they threw the doors open on a day pass for the non-resident holidaymakers. As a family, we never took up the offer there was more than enough on Barry Island to keep us happy. Locals were invited in because the people staying there wanted to get out.

Back then, the Island was a great place to spend a day. On a summer day, the beach would be packed out and if you fancied a day on the beach, the best spot was along the seawall hopefully out of the reach of the coming tide. When I was older I got to see what Butlin’s was about and it felt like a prison, Colditz and I was glad to have been one of the riff-raff down below.

A blast from my past I remember flared trousers not too fondly. There were good if you were strutting down the street with your platform shoes another one of these not the best idea, try running in them.

Flares were a bit of a nightmare really I was a climber but they would get caught up. A memory flooding back is getting my flares caught in the bike chain of my bike if you forgot to tuck them into your sock.

Then there were the popular patch pockets flared of course with two large side pocket useless for money and just about anything. The teenagers of today should be grateful this fad was consigned to history.


No comments:

Post a Comment