Wednesday 20 February 2019

A Day of Nostalgia For Me

On a nostalgia trip today with the seventies in mind, I took to e-bay looking to buy some comics/magazines of the time to read but mainly for the covers. I plan to frame them and display them.

I found the Victor Comic, issue 684 - 30 March 1974 the subject matter sold it to me and only cost me £2.99 with free postage.

Then I came across some covers of old Titbits magazines and straight away I knew there was one I had to have and hopefully at the right price, cheap. It was published weekly and likened to the modern day magazines like the now defunct Nuts or Zoo magazine. Titbits was the first magazine to feature a glamour girl on the front cover, albeit in clothes but that did not last long before it was boobs and lingerie on the covers.

I can remember the magazine being around since I noticed it when I was young but seem to remember a jump to more glamour covers toward the end of the sixties but with my early teens, and my new found interest in the body of the female of the species sparked a greater interest in my fledgling mind.

My search for the Dana Gillespie, Titbits magazine cover (19 September 1974) was not proving successful but I continued until I finally found one but the cost put me off. Still it has now become a project, I will succeed, and she will grace my bedroom wall one day. Towards the end of the seventies the magazine turned away from the more glamour, front-page covers to TV/film related as times changed.

My other target was a cover featuring the Beano’s General Jumbo my comic book hero and someone this then child would have loved to be. However, I found a picture and now am looking to up size it to at least A4. I should be able to sort it. Still I hope to find him on a cover of a Beano. I have enjoy myself today delving into the seventies I feel comfortable in that decade … well not the final few years. a post for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment