Friday 10 February 2017

Must see TV - Week beginning 11/02/2017 - My Choice

I have not thrown out my planned weekly viewing for a while so here I go “I’m Back”.

There has been a lot to catch up with TV shows and many films I recorded during Christmas and New Year but now I have caught up I can relax a bit more. I love Saturday night’s drama Taboo and I have enjoy Apple Tree Yard it is great to see No Offence back as well.

On the documentary front BBC3 online are showing the powerful Reggie Yates: Hidden Australia, who embeds himself with local police to understand the scale of the Ice epidemic in Melbourne, visits a halfway house full of addicts and meets users about to enter rehab.

Saturday – Match of the Day – BBC1 10:30pm

I am not a fan of Premiership football as my team presently ply their trade in the Championship but I love watching football from the top to the bottom. I get joy out of football even down the park if there is a game on. Many a time and much to the annoyance of my wife I would stop to watch a game when we lived close to Sevenoaks Park.

Watching Match of the Day has always been a tradition from when I was a kid. Saturday night was special time I was allowed to stay up late with Dad coming in from the pub/club with a bag of chips, which we would share.

Sunday – British Academy Film Awards 2017 – BBC1 9pm

What is not to like about a good old fashion awards ceremony with all the glitz something the British can do well not including the Z list soap awards.

The film La La Land with 11 nominations is expected to be a big win on the night where those he win here can look to do well at next month’s Academy Awards. Along with homegrown stars, some of the biggest names of Hollywood will attend the biggest red carpet event of the year.

Monday – The Walking Dead – Fox Channel 9pm

Thank god, it is back on our screens after the midseason break, why have us fans have to put up with it, only in America would they come up with this kind of torture. The early episodes in this series were disappointing with Rick, is group-becoming poodles to the new badie in town Negan, and is crew.

However, it looks like Rick as found is balls again has he tools up looking for other groups under the thumb of Negan to join him and fight back. I cannot see Negan sitting back quietly for any move on his authority so the end of this series should be lively.

Tuesday – Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads – Yesterday 9pm

I recently blogged about this comedy sitcom and low and behold my favourite episode is on the TV and I do not care that I have seen it umpteen times. This episode is ‘No Hiding Place’ the one where they are trying to dodge the score of an England football match so they could watch the highlights that evening.

But they have to contend with a mate who they have bet £10 that they could not go through the day without learning the score. They spend the rest of the day dodging their friend who is hell bent on telling them the score. One of them sees a newspaper headline that says "England F..." which takes their mood down a notch, “England Fail” one of them comes up with the other “England Five”. When he finally catches them just before the highlights show, they pay up just so he would not tell them. It is a great episode if you get the chance watch it.

Wednesday – Hospital – BBC2 9pm

This has been hard watching over the last few weeks and this being the last in the series I expect nothing to change. It shows how hard our doctors and nurses are struggling but is the daily battle for beds that is the real story.
The big story is bed blocking on wards and the lack of intensive care beds. In one episode, St Marys had all 36 intensive beds full and people with life threaten operations waiting for a bed left leaving doctors cancelling urgent operations. Tonight we can expect more bed battles – but there is always a reminder what a wonderful NHS we have.

Thursday - This World: Russia’s Football Factory - BBC2 9pm

This should be interesting coming as I do from the late 70s/80s when hooliganism was rife and on show most everywhere. At the recent 2016, European Championships Russia hooligans led violent clashes between them and English supporters in France.

Many threats were made for the 2018 World Cup in Russia mainly towards the English supporters.

So filmmaker Alex Slockley von Statzer travels to Russia to investigate this new generation of ‘firms’ who are teetotal, physically fit, trained in martial arts. Like in the 1989 English made-for-television film ‘The Firm’ they planning a super firm and like the X factor are holding ‘auditions’ for new members in preparation for the event.

Friday – Bad Neighbours 2 – Sky Cinema Premiere 8pm

Picking up the story a couple of years after the events in the first movie, Mac and Kelly are trying to impress potential house buyers.

However, this clashes with the plans of a new partying sorority who move in next door, girls this time. There are a few old faces from the first outing.

They have to outwit the new sorority living next door in order to sell their house. I liked the first one I may like this one fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment