Saturday 23 December 2017

Remembering Christmas past … No.3 … I was a Catholic Boy

My old church St Cuthbert's
Being a Catholic boy there was a lot surrounding school and church in the build-up to Christmas learning carols and the school mass with everyone waiting for the last day of school. Going to church was very strictly upheld in our household until I was about 15 years old I never missed a Sunday mass unless I was mitching. Yes I mitched from church from time to time, if dad was working or something and he was going to evening mass. Now that was really sad.

I also wanted to go to mid-night mass it was like a coming of age for a young Catholic boy, it means you were able to stay up late and go to bed late giving mum a chance to wrap the remaining presents while we were in church.When we returned home even though I knew who Father Christmas was the presents where nowhere to be seen as mum shooed me to bed.

I was 11 years-old for my first mid-night mass that started at mid-night within a year or so it was down to 11pm kick-off and now there was security on the door to keep any drunks out of the church after a commotion the previous year. With the drunks barred the only fun left was watching the alter boys trying to stay awake which could be difficult one year, and for the life of me I can’t remember who it was but he looked like someone out of a zombie film and the second he sat down he was sparked out asleep. I knew most of the alter boys and I think dad would have loved to see me up there but that was not for me.

I asked dad about this Christmas Eve at St Patrick's and he said he will be going to the earlier mass for dad will be at 7pm as not many churches still do mid-night mass. I always thought mid-night mass was special like some secret Catholic society but it was just a normal mass.

I must have love church … not really as later I would be back for Christmas morning mass with the whole family minus mum and any baby family member. Mum was a non-Catholic anyway and would be home cooking up a family feast.

No comments:

Post a Comment