Tuesday 19 July 2016

"Take it or Leave it" - Film Review

What do you do when wifey has control of the TV for two hours? Get out of dodge and cruise the internet for something, anything to watch before I become brain dead.

Last night I checked out what YouTube was recommending to me expecting it to be full of suggestions about the ‘Fall of Berlin’ in 1945, which I have been engrossed in recently. There was also a film suggestion, a film I add not seen in years and it was about time we were reacquainted. The film Take it or Leave it (1981) autobiographical account of the rise of the group Madness.

This low budget film of the early years of Madness and a lot of music we fans love to hear. The acting if you can call it acting is amateurish but in my book helps the film. There is no glorification we see the trials and tribulations of an emerging band.

Although they started life, back in 1976, it was not until 1979 and the release of the single "The Prince" that charted at 16th in August of that year that they really began to take off and within under two years the film was released. It was funded by each member of the band throwing in £20,000 each and £250,000 by their label Stiff Records. I didn’t see it at the cinema I rented the video out a years later and I don’t think it was a major success on its release.

The music is what you expect and interesting to see the group develop. My favourite scene in the film when the boys play a gig, get in a skirmish with some skinheads, and do a runner to my all-time favourite Madness track the appropriately named Madness.


No comments:

Post a Comment