Wednesday 6 July 2016

Watching tennis can put me to sleep – No balls please – Did Murray win?

I don’t hate tennis but I do find it boring, really boring more so than cricket. My mum loved tennis and funny enough darts and snooker a strange mixture of sports. I started watching Tsonga v Murray and I soon found myself nodding off.

I can never understand the strange fascination that grips the British public when Wimbledon turns most people into tennis fans for two weeks. The BBC goes ape shit for it surrendering its schedule to the game for the two weeks, live and highlights noon to dusk.

I have concluded its Wimbledon I don’t like as I actually like the Davis Cup. I never really tried tennis it was never a sport close to my heart although I did own a tennis racket as a kid I found it over the river one summer day. I never made it to a court to play. My court was in my street where I would hit a ball against the wall.

There are many off field things that wand me up the boring garbling commentary of the golly-gosh presenters and then there is John McEnroe who I sometimes feel will kick off at any minute. Irritating also is the motley selection of freeloaders, soap stars, actors/actresses and minor Royals in the Royal Box, the whole thing has become a very British farce.

Take the strawberries they are not any old strawberries but Wimbledon 2016 perfectly designed and created for this occasion and that is why they cost so much. God knows where the cream comes from a magic cow around the corner from Centre Court. Anyway can’t hang around it’s football time.

No comments:

Post a Comment