Sunday 10 December 2017

Something Missing About Christmas These Days

I was sitting there just watching TV and unexpectedly from nowhere I wondered what happened to the silver Christmas trees that I remember from childhood. You just don’t see them anymore.

On my social media timelines, friends like to share and most have green artificial trees we have a green fibre optic tree ourselves. But back when I was growing up we had a silver tree, not a big one because of limited space. I remember many of our friends and family had the same.

That led me on to tinsel! Can you get it anymore? I remember we would throw it over the ceiling decorations, it would dangle down, and we would scatter it over the tree.

Paper decorations 
I miss the old paper decorations they are retro these days I spotted the round ball on sale in M&S and I was surely tempted to buy a couple but we are too old for hanging decorations. I remember our celling after Christmas would be full of tiny holes from the drawing pins and in that far away corner the one pin you just couldn’t be bother to pull out which would stay there until next Christmas.

Do people still put up balloons? I have memories of sitting there blowing them up or trying to with instructions from mum if you couldn’t to stretch them, clasp your hands, and rub the balloon to loosen it. Who didn’t try to get away with the standard willy balloon design has you grew older it never passed muster and always resulted in a bollicking from one of you parents.

Tinsel
Something else I expect not to happen, the knock on the door and opening to Carol Singers I can’t remember the last time that happened. As a kid it was a good money earner and beside that fun. Knock the door sing the first verse of a carol and receive money but sometimes you knock at someone’s door and they want their money’s worth and more than a verse which could mean some awkwardness if you could only remember the first verse.

What has happened to Christmas trees in the window! You could walk down any street and nearly every other house would have a tree in their front room window. If you had a front room, it could be a special room for entertaining like wearing your Sunday best to church as kid you were never allowed to play in there. I was always a bit envies of not having a Christmas tree in our window but our front room was not fit for human habitation that is why it became by bedroom much later.

I have come to a conclusion Christmas was easy back then money was still tight like for most today if you think back the most expensive present you could buy was a bike. Today it could be skies the limit with the latest iPhone.

No comments:

Post a Comment