Monday 18 December 2017

Three Horse Race for the Christmas No.1 spot

The build up to the Christmas No. 1 single has been fairly quite if you discount me promoting Wham’s “Last Christmas” for the top spot and there is still time to buy it via download. It would be a fine tribute to George Michael, who died last Christmas Day.

With the No. 1 Christmas single to be announced on Friday, it’s when we will know.
With George Michael, dying last Christmas many fans like myself would love to see him reach the top spot. I checked the latest chart positions last night and it looks to be a three horse race. Has of last night Ed Sheeran was currently occupying the top spot with the track “Perfect”.


Surprisingly at No.2 is another of my Christmas favourites Mariah Carey with “All I want for Christmas is you” and any other year I would love to see it at No.1 but not this year. “Last Christmas” is third and in need of a final boost to catapult it into the No.1 spot. It is good to see no X factor crap it was a chance I believe all the protests over years about Simon Cowell and his fascination to have the No.1 spot tied in with his show … No more Mr Cowell.

I remember when the Christmas No.1 was a big news story up until the official announcement of the Christmas No.1. There was always plenty of speculation surrounding the race to the top spot back when you would have to go to record shops or WH Smiths to buy your chosen single where today it takes a few taps on your computer to buy music.

Can you buy 7-inch singles anymore? I rarely go in record shops the last time must have been when HMV was on Queen Street, Cardiff years back searching for something for one of my young sons back in the 90s.

No comments:

Post a Comment