Friday 22 December 2017

Remembering Christmas past … I believed until … No.2

The Ugarte brothers
I am the one on the right
I remember being a happy child believed in Farther Christmas excited about every December.We were in wonder of the Christmas festive period school, church, and home in winter Cardiff city centre looked grey and dull until December went town was all lit up with the festive bright lights and shop window. 

I remember the illusion being busted just before 1969 when the curiosity of an 8-year-old led to the discovery on the landing upstairs of our old home in Pomeroy St. I often wondered when we were out shopping at Christmas why mum or dad would disappear and come back with a shopping bag and was not, allowed to peak in without getting a little slap on the back of the head for being be a bit nosey.

Then there was the big landing cupboard it was out of bounds until that faithful day a few weeks before that 1969 Christmas. On top there was a big-mirrored frame and anyway I couldn’t open the door even with a simply door catch - It was tough to try to open.

Remember those shopping bags that once in the house would disappear, vanish into the heavens.  Even on the bus home my ears would ring to a sharp shouted ‘Peter’ from my mum or dad if I tried to peck in it was so frustrating, I was just a nosey boy and could not help it. I believed in Santa at eight and was a fully paid member of the club. But one day while playing around I noticed the catch on the cupboard was not fully down here was a chance maybe to have a look inside I am nosey Pete and tempted.

On opening the door! Low and behold, it was like Father Christmases grotto, a wonderland of toys. If I believed in Santa before opening the door well now the secret was out … Santa was (drum roll) … mum and dad. Knowing this piece of information didn’t spoil my Christmas, I spied a little something in the cupboard that I wanted and hope it was not for my brother got it not me. Anyway back then, what was your brothers was yours to play with, its called sharing.

Talking about sharing I did not share the wonderment of the landing cupboard with my brother I think it maybe have been wrong to spoil his Christmas, it was up to him to find out about.  Pretty major thinking for a 8-year-old or I just wanted to keep my secret to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment