Tuesday 27 May 2014

The quintessential soap hater

Timber
I hate the soap opera of today. I found a description which some’s it up for me ‘A drama, typically performed as a serial on daytime television, early evening or radio, characterised by stock characters and situations, sentimentality, and melodrama’. I do like some soap, the stuff you wash with.

Okay, I realise its TV and fictional, but there should be some element of reality! Do the writers think the viewing public are morons? Well many fans of this kind of TV are! I exclude my soap-loving wife from that statement about morons.

I do not even regard soaps as entertainment either. Well in my house, it leads to lots of arguments mainly with me taking the lead, which would be real entertainment for you because I can go off on one. I once banned a soap opera from our TV because I was so pissed-off. That was the now defunct Channel 4 soap Brookside. What I thought was a stupid story line, sent me off leading to the ban for a reason I have long forgotten. If it were possible, I would do the same with the bloody lot.

Tonight Tina (Coronation Street) is pushed to her death. However, her death will linger on for a number of episodes as they do in soap opera-land. In the soap opera murder league of the main three soaps, Coronation Street are lagging behind Emmerdale and EastEnders who got their murders in first.

No comments:

Post a Comment