Monday 6 March 2017

It is Pie week - Do your duty and have a pie

They kept that quiet. It is only ‘Pie Week’ this week a celebration to be enjoyed by all pie lovers. I see many newspapers are opening the week with top 10 pies/best pies. Although I will enjoy this week, it will be touched with some sadness, with the continuing demise of the Clarks Pie more of which later.

I have a new pie lined up for this week maybe two for a testing but we will see in this magical week, which I will be reviewing later because I have not bought them yet. Yes, there really is a whole week dedicated to the humble pie. I am old school savoury pie with meat is my poison sweet/fruit filled pies dessert or pudding not a real pie.

Another thing a Shepherd’s pie or Cottage pie are not true pies. Last year’s pie awards the grand winner ‘Pie of the Year’ was a pastie, yes a pastie! Can a pastie be a pie! Not in my book. No way can you call a pastie a pie. Maybe the judges thought it was ‘Pastie of the Year’. As you can see after a year, I still cannot believe it.

That the time Matthew O’Callaghan, chairman of the British Pie Awards and Melton Mowbray Pork Pie Association, said: ‘I know many will be surprised to see a pasty winning the British Pie Awards, but the definition of a pie is a filling totally encased in pastry – pies come in all shapes including round pies, square pies and pasties.’

The demise of the once mighty Clarks pie as sadden me. When the two shops parted ways I expected the shops to go in different directions but was hoping the pies would stay the same. They soon differed but it is fair to say the Grangetown pie was the better it did not change. At Victoria Park, there was a change in the taste but still a top pie they also came up with a new range of pies. Then down in Grangetown the tray came … yes a tray. Any Clarks fan knows the pie was made to stand alone without a tray. Then the taste of the pie changed it was not right.

It is so bad now I have told my dad not to bring me my weekly pie. It is not just me many friends have said the same.

Research reveals that 75% of people enjoy a pie at least once a month, according to an independent survey.

No comments:

Post a Comment