Saturday 18 March 2017

My Saturday Afternoon

BBC had a bloody afternoon of rugby on the TV but thank god, for Sky Sports offering West Brom v Arsenal for this neutral lover of football, soccer for my American readers but you must know what I am talking about when I say football. After Football Focus, which was on 30 minutes early and cut from an hour to half an hour just because of the eggchaser it was straight over to the build up to the football.

So I sat back with a plate of spam sandwiches and watched the game. It was not a good game for Arsenal and under pressure boss Arsène Wenger. Even from the air Arsenal boss Wenger was under fire with a plane flying over the ground with a banner reading: 'No contract. #WengerOut'. There was also a banner supporting Wenger 'In Arsène We Trust' #Respect’ but I did not see it so it was unclear if it was the clubs plane. The radio talk-in show 606 on BBC radio 5 is going to be lively later.

After the game, it was time for Soccer Saturday to watch the results come in with an eye on my bets and of course the progress of my team Cardiff City. Sometimes if I am lucky, there may be an iffy internet stream of the game if not it is the radio. If you have not seen the programme before Jeff Stelling is the host, a proud Hartlepool United fan who likes to celebrate their goals when they score if they do.

Today the in-studio pundits were Paul Merson, Matt Le Tissier, Phil Thompson, and Charlie Nicholas previewing today’s games reviewing recent results and debating current issues in football mostly Premier League talk before kick-off around the country. They each watch a game on a monitor in front of them. Has the games get started reports come into the studio from around the country.

I was sitting there listening to the game on the radio and watching the vidiprinter throwing out goals from around the leagues in England, Wales, Scotland Northern Ireland and some games from around Europe. From kick-off, we were taken on a trip around the grounds as goals and incidents were reported to the studio and then a report from the Cardiff City Stadium. A goal those of us interested but I already knew because of the radio, visitors Ipswich had scored but for a moment, I thought I had missed something with the Sky vidiprinter saying 1-1. It was a harsh mistake but not for long.

Kenneth Zohore turns away after scoring the second goal 
Cardiff scored I was happy confirm rightly by the vidiprinter this time so half time it was 1-1. During half time they showed some of the after match interview from Wenger, the only question was about his futures or lack of it at Arsenal.

Goal! Cardiff took the lead 2-1 and another goal from Kenneth Zohore making it his second in this game. Could it be game over it is now 3-1? Bennett was the goal scorer as City push forward to safety from the threat of any chance of being dragged in relegation in the bottom three.

At 4:30pm, it was time to turn the TV over for final score on the BBC, which is a tradition for me. Ever since I can remember, I have watched Grandstand in the old days and final score. I would sit there in front of the TV writing down the scores. When I turned over a rugby was still going it was a double header but no need to throw a wobbly as final score was on BBC2.

Nice to see a woman pundit in the studio Sue Smith, English international footballer, that would never happen on Sky. No more goals for the Cardiff City Stadium so a good three points in the bag. Now everyone knows my feeling of the subject of rugby but a sneaky look to see if Wales had won and it was so exciting I found an interest in watching. The French need to score a try and convert a kick and they would win the game and with no idea of the rules but knowing if Wales won the ball the game would be over. There was a lot of overtime as French won penalty after another, shit I have no idea what was going on but it was entertaining for someone with no interest in the outcome.

There ends another Saturday afternoon

No comments:

Post a Comment