Friday 8 May 2015

Bad night for Labour

On his way out?
The announcement of the exit poll shocked me and predicted a Conservative win. Better than all the polls leading up to the election. They were on line to be largest party and only 10 short on an overall majority.

The first result picked me up a bit, a win for Labour but the night was staring me in the face it was going to be a blue night. So I made my way to bed planning an early rise.

I should have stayed in bed because the night belonged to the Conservative Party who not only won the night they are also on line to win outright. The polls leading up to election night got it very wrong with the exit poll showing the real feeling of voting Britain. While up in Scotland the polls were spot on with the predicted landslide for the SNP destroying the Labour party in the process who at the time of writing had won a single seat.

In my stomping ground of Wales, we saw the Tories make inroads gaining three seats, one from Labour, and two from Lib Dems. While my local MP Kevin Brennan (Labour) won the seat with a small decrease in his support. All three of the bigger parties lost support in the Cardiff West Parliamentary constituency with the big winner in terms of support were UKIP followed by Plaid Cymru who beat UKIP into third behind Labour and Conservatives.

The blame game is already under way with many Labour representatives pointing the finger at the Tories scaremongering about the Scottish control of a Labour government. I think the collapse of the Lib Dems is more to do with it and a sprinkling of tactical voting on top of Labour failing to win over the voters Scotland comes to mind. Then there is the Ed Miliband factor! He has never been popular with voters and often ridiculed has the wrong brother and without charisma.

What next! Five years of the Tories which doesn’t excite me but the highlight of the night for me was the end of maverick respect leader George Galloway. Hate is a strong word but when it comes to Mr Galloway, I can live with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment