Wednesday 20 May 2015

Game of Thrones a rape to far

Not sitting on the fence with this one, I love ‘Game of Thrones’ for me it is a must watch TV experience. In this episode, concluded on Monday with a wedding between the characters Ramsay Bolton (Iwan Rheon) and Sansa Stark (Sophie Turner).There is a growing call to boycott the series after the popular character Sansa was raped on her wedding night.

In a scene that follows, Ramsay sexually assaults Sansa while he forces a third character, Theon (Alfie Allen) who she grew up with to watch. The rape is primarily portrayed through sound and through Theon’s pained face reactions as he stands and watches on the orders of Bolton.

The rape scene in Monday’s episode of “Game of Thrones” was heavily criticised in the press and on social media, pointing out the rape scene between the two was not in the book. In a departure from yet another of George RR Martin’s books, the wedding should have been between someone disguised as Arya Stark, Sansa’s younger sister. If the purest insist the book should be followed, what we would have seen would have been much more disturbing.

In the book, Theon is made to actively participate in the rape and a dog is sexually forced on her at some point. I don’t think we need to go into too much more detail.

Did we need to see the scene? Maybe not because fans of the show would know the wedding night would be no bed of roses with the evil Ramsay Bolton who is on a par with the little sadistic shit Joffrey Baratheon who now resides in hell. It’s not like we were seeing the rape in any detail there have been worst sex scenes in the show and more graphic.

The actress playing Sansa Stark told the media on reading the script, “When I read that scene, I kinda loved it. I love the way Ramsay had Theon watching. It was all so messed up.”
She admitted she was hoping for a kinder new husband for her unfortunate character. "I thought the love interest was going to be like Jaime Lannister or somebody who would take care of me.
"But then I found out it was Ramsay and I'm back at Winterfell. I love the fact she's back home reclaiming what's hers. But at the same time she's being held prisoner in her own home.
"You can't get on his level. He's such a mentalist - there's no way of understanding his motives or his thinking.
"So this season it's also her trying to figure out his intentions and trying to please him.
"I think its going to be the most challenging season for me so far, just because it's so emotional for her"

No comments:

Post a Comment