Monday 11 May 2015

End of a era for the catalogue

It was sad to read the end of the Littlewoods catalogue is nigh, killed off by the all-encompassing internet. The article said it has been around for 80 years, it must have been in my life for 40 of those years.

I can’t remember when we got our first catalogue I think I was like 13 or something funny thing was back then mum would rather buy a bike at Halfords, pay weekly there, and paid it off before getting your hands on bike. Mum was soon to embrace the use of the catalogue but still prefer dealing with shops.

It was always like Christmas when you open your door and the catalogue was laying on the floor. As a young lad, I would go straight to the back and the toys, well that is a bit of a lie. Somehow, the page would always open on the ladies underwear, strange wasn’t it. As I grew up, I was soon to make use of it (not the underwear) as I got some money in my pocket one of my best purchase was a two-man dinghy. Hours of fun on the River Taff and later it helped with the more expensive items that comes with family life.

The catalogue followed me into marriage and helped with family things until one day we were forced to part company. It was a messy break up that ended up in court but I am glad to say we became friends again. The internet is the new catalogue much easier no having to post your order and wait weeks. Now it’s on the phone or more likely to be on the computer with next day delivery on most items.

That the future for all catalogues really it's also hitting town centres around the country with click and collect getting more and more popular. Soon someone with open a shop where it will only be click and collect.

No comments:

Post a Comment