Sunday 1 December 2013

Food glorious food = Queuing

When I was young, I never remember mum shopping until she dropped, buying half a shop in some mad Christmas food panic. Yes, she bought a few extra loafs of bread and extra milk but that was about it has shop would be shut for two days, even longer if Christmas and Boxing Day fell either side of the weekend.
Christmas Eve shopping is crazy, car parks full, supermarkets full and transport a nightmare but year after year people who say never again are back in the queue at the tills. I was part of the madness for years, getting frustrated in queue that moved shower than a snail. I tried to break the mould by going shop with my sister and husband at the ungodly hour of 6am and we would full their car to the brim nearly braking the suspension, mum babysitting at my sister while dad would be doing the same at my house.
But, what broke the camel’s back forcing me into a drastic change was seeing two people was six supermarket trollies full to the brim trying to pushing them towards the tills. I couldn’t really talk being in convoy with the wife in a wheel chair and two trollies myself. I thought to myself … this is madness. Now we dodge the most of the madness do the shopping days before Christmas Eve and using the internet, smaller till lines and a lot more less stress. Still shop big though but thinking more along the line of food lasting one or two days.

No comments:

Post a Comment