Monday 2 December 2013

Top selling toy of 1970

The toy in question for 1970, was the Stylophone. Advertised as a toy for boys and girls, which was a bit unusual for a toy to cross the gender divide, could it be called a toy though?. It was heavily advised TV and in the papers by Rolf Harris, with nearly every kid wanted one making it the must have gift of that Christmas.

Mum and Dad always tried to do the best for us, money was always tight and even at my tender age I think I understood. Something we would have to wait a bit longer for that must have toy but hey, there was a lot of love in the house. I was never disappointed with my Christmas presents; never throw a tantrum, just got on with it.

Therefore, It was very much surprised on opening my present that morning and finding a Stylophone. The truth! I didn’t really want one, I could have thought of lots of other things I would have liked. However, I spent time trying to get some kind of sound out of it. The sound was easy, a strangely annoying pitch, follow the instruction with the help of mum I soon discarded it. I was surprise Rolf Harris got so much out of the damn thing I can’t remember anyone getting a decent tune out of one.

No comments:

Post a Comment