Saturday 18 June 2016

Poor, but happy - What is Poor - I was happy anyway

What is poor! Growing up I would say we were cash poor as we had a roof over our heads and there was always a meal on the table what more can you ask for but more money. Dad put in a shift and then some for his wage packet and was always happy to snap up any overtime.

We were cash poor the wife and I whenever my sons through a tantrum when growing up because they were desperate for the latest thing be it something to wear or a toy to buy. They would constantly do my head in with please - please – please but I was not deliberately saying no because I was evil or something, lack of money was the only reason.

My instant come back would be “you don’t know how lucky you are” speech reminding them how poor I was growing up like my parents reminded me when I would throw a tantrum. There was not much cash about but I knew my dad worked hard for his wage packet. We would rarely see him sometimes as kids. Out of the house before we were awake and home at 6pm. There was no real pocket money, if I wanted an ice cream or sweets, I would ask and mum would check the purse.

Every Friday it would be the same. Dad would come in with his wage packet unopened for some reason I never understood there would be a staple through the money, I always found that funny. Mum would there take out the rent, bill money, milkman and coal money, the book (money we owed to the local corner shop for credit) and there would not be much left.

When you watch your mum divvy up your dads wages to pay bills it soon registered with me that it meant money was tight so I soon worked out no meant no so don’t push it.

I was never on trend; half a year behind I would say unless my Nan stepped in with an injection of cash. It was always easy to get what I wanted shopping with her. Such a great lady. Mum once sent us out to buy a pair of shoes for school and I came home with a wicked pair of platform shoes, mum wasn’t pleased, I was. I can’t remember any peer pressure unlike when my kids were growing up and today it’s ten times worse.

Living in a country like ours with the Welfare State, can anyone be classed as poor? When I was young the Welfare State was Child Benefit there was none of this help for working families you can get today.

1 comment:

  1. Nothing changes. I'm always telling Sarah no no no. When she wants to buy unessecary things for the baby. Were always broke. However we have a roof over our heads. Food on the table and the bills are paid. We ain't poor. We sensible.

    ReplyDelete