Sunday 26 June 2016

The Frankenstein Theory - Film Review

After a disappointing search last night to find something on the Horror Channel that would scare the living daylights out of me this morning I happened on ‘The Frankenstein Theory’ so thought I would give it a go.

I was not optimistic for this film has I tapped in my password I was just hoping it was worth watching to the end. The benchmark I set for all films is very simple, was I entertained. This film fell short of that as I found a lack of suspense or drama disappointing but others could find something in the film.

The film is about Professor John Venkenheim (Kris Lemche) who believes Mary Shelley's Frankenstein was based on a real event that went terribly wrong. He leads a documentary film crew with his old college friend Vicky Stephens (Heather Stephens) to the rim of the Arctic Circle in a desperate effort to vindicate his reputation. With guide Karl McCallion (Timothy V. Murphy), they plan to try to locate the Frankenstein 'monster’ living in the vast, frozen wilderness.

What really carries this movie is the acting. The characters come across as real people who are in a bad situation. The parts are played with subtlety and finesse. There were some funny moments that worked, which eased the tension before it was ratcheted up again. However, it did little to ratchet up my fear levels.

Finally, I thought the premise was clever. I can't give it higher than a four because it is "found footage" style, and, frankly, I'm getting sick of that type of film. I worked out what was going to be the ending soon as the killing started.

No comments:

Post a Comment