Tuesday 21 June 2016

Well done Wales - Onwards and Upwards - Interesting Times

Wales are in the last 16 and why not! Only that little hiccup against England have spoiled our journey so far. With Wales, beating Russia 3-0 and England only managing a draw against Slovakia the Welshman finish top of Group B.

I have written before that I am not the greatest fan of international football and I am always bemoaning the fact when it interferes with my passion League Football. Although even I know this is something special which has been a long time coming. I can remember the nearly games, the heartbreak but this group of players may not be the best team to pull on the red shirt but they have jelled together like no other. It is a young team with many of the players blooded young into international football.

A part of me is cursing the fact Wales move on and forward because I would like our manager back. The newly appointed Cardiff City boss Paul Trollope is part of the Wales coaching staff. With my Cardiff fan hat on the lack of transfer news coming from the club is worrying while our Championship rivals are doing business.

The fans in France have been awesome winning praise from the locals and the police and they make their presents felt in the stadium, fan zones and pubs here and over there. There will be many fans trying to figure out how to extend their stay in France. Many plans will be laid out and phone calls to bosses, wives, and girlfriends in search of some leeway to extend their adventures with many probably be disappointed. For those who come home there will be the mad dash back for Wales’s next game.

That the time of writing I have no idea who Wales will play in the next game but as Group B winners, Wales are rewarded with a easier route and will face the third-place team from Group A, C or D at Paris' Parc des Princes on Saturday.

Albania finished third in Group A, while Northern Ireland (Group C) and Czech Republic (Group D) are third in their sections as it stands. Croatia (in Group D), Germany, and Poland (in Group C) could also still finish third after the final round of matches.

If I had my wish, I think I would like to see Albania has Wales’s next opponents or Northern Ireland maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment