Sunday 7 January 2018

Sunday Crush - Blondie - Debbie Harry

NOW there are rock chicks and then Debbie Harry aka Blondie hitting all the right spots with me and especially in her early years braking through here in the UK.

She was getting a lot of interest in the music press like ‘Sounds’, but her early releases made no impact on the UK charts until Parallel Lines their third studio album hit the charts, reaching the top spot. I was soon tracking her through the press and TV appearances if I remember right my brother bought her album and that and Jeff Wayne's War of the World were about the only albums worth borrowing from his collection.

By the release of the single, ‘Denis’ sealed the deal. It went to No.1 in the charts and with a really eye catching appearance on “Top of the Pops”. Unlike today where your average singer or group like ‘Little Mix’ dress like hookers Blondie just wore a red shirt and knee length red boots sucking the air out of this young Welshman.


But there is always a moment when you say wow and mine came with the video of my favourite Blondie tune ‘Union City Blues’ which surprisingly didn’t make the top ten in the UK charts. I have never been one to follow the crowd when it came to music. I like what I like. Standing in a dry dock in a jumpsuit her trademark blonde hair cool sunglasses strumming on a guitar and a close up of her luscious and inviting lips had me. Off to be alone for a minute or two.


The other thing that I love about her is how effortlessly sexy she is. There's was nothing overtly obvious about her sex appeal and yet it is there. There was a natural ease and grace about her that really makes her remarkable to look at and she can be completely covered and still be so sensual she had no need to flash the flesh. It seems to radiate from her very being. Unlike so many style and sex icons of today, she never needed to be in your face with her breasts, legs, or ass.


Maybe if she grew in the world of selfies, it may have been different but somehow I doubt it. I wish more stars today could be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment