Wednesday 24 January 2018

Nudge Nudge Wink Wink Say No More Seventies Style

I have been trying to remember this classic from my youth back in the early seventies for a while now. I am talking about the ‘Funny Half Hour comic’ saucy jokes accompanied by a sketch of the nudge nudge wink wink say no more kind.

I remember them in my local corner shop in the magazine rack and l can say now I lifted a few (stolen) and there was always a few hanging around so we would have a bit of a giddle my friends and me.

The comic/magazine was more your saucy seaside postcard kind of stuff the cartoon could no way be called hardcore the written text within the book was a bit fruity. I do remember they cost 25p/30p around that time and today you could pay £10 or more on eBay.

The jokes/sketches would be kind of along the same line a husband coming home and finding the milkman in bed with his wife, cheating was a favourite scenario or wives unsatisfied with their husbands. On the other side of the coin husbands trading their wife for younger models, all boobs and bum.

I think you had to be over 18 to buy it and it was sold in America.

Amongst the sexism and titillation, there were some good jokes too. Their decline meant a lot less work for cartoonists that is for sure, so that is not good. On the negative side, the mags perpetuated a sexist, misogynistic attitude towards women that became increasingly tasteless and not 'only a bit of fun' as its defenders would have it. Basically, such joke mags reflected the attitudes of the times, but it was inevitable it would not last forever. At the time, I regarded them as innocent fun I had no idea about sexism, I do now and you know what I am ok with the content.

Today of course there is no market for such comics/magazines or cartoonists the internet of saw the virtual end to that with the sexual content rating pushing such comics that there are off the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment