Friday 26 January 2018

Craziest Talk Show Ever in the River Thames - Rivron

For years, I have been trying to remember a chat show on Channel 4 with the interviewee and guest conducting the interview while floating in the River Thames, late at night. It got to the point where I actually began to believe I dreamt the whole thing up, a figment of my imagination and there was never such a talk show.

Then while checking out some videos on YouTube and having a bit of a perv of lead singer of Transvision Vamp, Wendy James, the drummer in her video caught my eye has the guy who I remember presenting the aforementioned chat show. After researching her band, I came up with his name, Rowland Rivron.
Once I had his name and seen his face I remember a lot of stuff he was in but it was his chat show I was interested and after all these years, I was zeroing in on it. Soon had the name of the show ‘Rivron’.
I remember him interviewing a woman singer I had a mind it was Madonna but it was Wendy James. Rowland Rivron was dating Wendy James around the time of the interview.

The show screened towards the end of 1989 on Channel 4 one of the many alternative comedy type shows. It was a zany idea to host a talk show in the freezing River Thames but that was the norm for Channel 4. Along with his guest, they would tread water with the entire set floating around them and the odd boat passing.
There were only two-episodes filmed along with James the other was with Jonathan Ross. Eventually the entire production was shut down due to health and safety issues with the River Police turning up shutting the whole thing down. The Thames is much cleaner now maybe Channel 4 could drop Alan Carr in for a revival show.
It has to go down has the craziest talk show ever and it come from Channel 4 who were cutting edge of ‘youth’ late night entertainment.




No comments:

Post a Comment