Monday 15 January 2018

It should have been No.1 - David Bowie's Life on Mars


SHOCKED I was after being put in my place when I said David Bowie’s “Life on Mars” was one of the greatest No.1s ever only to be told it never topped the UK singles chart. I just couldn’t believe the British public couldn’t see the greatness of this song.

The song was originally released on Bowie’s 1971 album Hunky Dory, but that LP failed to sell as well as Bowie had hoped and “Life on Mars?” had to wait until 1973 for a single release, by which time Ziggy Stardust had made him a star.

So I took to the internet in research mode to find the underlying cause of this disaster. Released in July 1973, reaching a measly third place in the chart and spent three weeks there. Still with a case of shock I needed to find out who or what kept it from being No.1 as I had no idea but I thought it must have been awesome.

The official charts website was very helpful and the 8 July when “Life of Mars” was there it was a Slade track, I can’t even remember so to YouTube to have a listen. “Skweeze me pleeze me” was No.1 and I vaguely remember it on hearing it but still it was shit. Peters and Lee were No.2 in the chart with “Welcome Home” better than Bowie’s I don’t think so but it was miles better than Slade’s crap.

The second week still at No.3 “Life on Mars” thank god the people of Britain seen the light when it came to Slade’s record and stop buying it as it slip down the charts. Peters and Lee took over at No.1 thanks to the oldies but Gary Glitter jump straight into the No.2 spot with “I’m the Leader of the Gang (I am!)” again not music I liked and don’t get me going on his image.

The final chance for “Life on Mars” before sliding down the charts was blocked my Peters and Lee and Gary Glitter swapping places. We all know what happen to Glitter and is there a case to expunge (remove completely) his chart history we don’t see him on archived ‘Top of the Pops’ shown regular on BBC 4. I think there is a case for this.

I still find it impossible that I am not talking about a No.1 song looking at the competition it was up against with lyrics like …
“See the mice in their million hordes
From Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Rule Britannia is out of bounds
To my mother, my dog, and clowns”
The song re-entered the UK charts at number 55 over 30 years later, largely because of its use in the BBC TV series Life on Mars. It’s also be covered by a number of singers, bands and orchestras.



No comments:

Post a Comment