Saturday 19 May 2018

What has happened to Street Parties?

Pomeroy St, Prince Charles street party

We would enjoy a royal occasion and a street party. I believe there are under 10 street parties for the whole city of Cardiff for the wedding. We knew our neighbours back then I am not sure people today are the same. Where I live I know a handful of neighbours (two), a few more I say morning to, that is it, and I have lived here about 20 years.
Back in the day, it would start with a knock on the door with a group of mums outside with an exercise book and pen to collect money for the party. Most of the street would put up some bunting, pictures in their front window and soon the whole street was decked out with flags. Today council red tape and insurance to cover the event and some councils want paying for closing roads put some people off planning a party. On the day, we would lend our table and any chairs and mum would be asked if she could help with the food, it was a big community thing.

It was not just our street. Just about every street joined in with the celebrations some streets had to remain open for access so people living there would be welcome at other parties. There was always a bit of a competition between streets for the best display, which we always won, other streets of course may not agree. The memory is so strong you would think it happen regularly but I only took part in one such celebration for the Investiture of Prince Charles but I did go to two parties. Although I was around for the Queens Jubilee in 1977 but was too old now but watched and looked after my sisters.

I can remember the excitement of the party growing and a week or so before the investiture Prince Charles (not the Prince of Wales yet) drove past the top of our street on a tour of Wales. Came the day all us kids were just dying to dive into the food and get stuck in but we were constantly shooed away. Then when it was deemed time we would take our seat and then like a swarm of locusts, attack the food, pop and ham sandwiches what more did I need. After everyone was done with the food, there were games, sweetie bags, and fun.

My kids who were born between 1986/1989 have never been to a street party mainly because where we lived people were not interested.

Watching the TV coverage of today’s celebrations it was good to see coverage of street parties it took me back. It was great to see all the activity and kids running most of whom may never had such freedom to run around their street.

No comments:

Post a Comment