Sunday 4 October 2015

Cornbeef ... Love or Hate

Vegetarians be warned, look away, I love a tin of Cornbeef but I am the only one in my household. I have seen plenty of canned corn beef bashing in my time with a reputation as bad as tinned Spam, which I also like immensely but I am willing to stick up for this delicacy.

This mysterious tin is normally bought in a Christmas shop or part of some hamper and sits in your kitchen cupboard for about 6 months (or maybe longer if you would care to admit) hidden in the corner on the top shelf.

I can bet if you decide to use it the recipe would more than likely be Cornbeef Hash that is not a bad end. I prefer a sandwich of Cornbeef, tomato, heaven for this sandwich hag just about anything between to pieces of bread is heaven for me, as my dietitian nurse would agree while telling me bread = a fatty.

Mentioning a nurse it is always handy to have one on standby when opening a tin of Cornbeef because it is a highly dangerous operation. That key thingamajig is not easy for the untrained. Has you keep turning the key, you must be careful not to let the metal unwind because the tin edges are serious sharp. With a square/rectangular tin, it is impossible to open with a tin opener and easier to extract the contents in one piece, thus allowing the block of corned beef to be sliced.

Any Cornbeef here not ending up in a sandwich will end up in a Cornbeef Hash because that is the next best way to enjoy it or maybe a Cornbeef pie/pastie. Hey, what the hell in Cardiff market they sell a well mean Cornbeef pie slice to die for on the Market Deli counter. A throw back to school many moons ago when it was on the menu and I fell in love the only thing I fell in love with in school.

Give Cornbeef a chance

No comments:

Post a Comment