Sunday 11 October 2015

Destination France

Super Victor, the official mascot of the
UEFA Euro 2016

Not the best way to win through to the France Euro 2016 finals but I think you would find most Welsh fans with happy smiles today. A favour from Cyprus who had a 2-1 win over Israel meaning Welsh football ends its 57-year wait to qualify for a major tournament.

Football history is riddled with world class players who missed major tournaments because their national teams were not strong enough; Ryan Giggs comes into my mind - not so Gareth Bale – he and his fellow teammates have achieved what has been impossible for others.

Fans now will be planning for next summer with wives and husbands waking up to news of holidays in France. I have already seen on social media fans talking about booking hotels even before the draw for the finals being made sound a bit stupid to me. The 24 contenders will learn their fate when the draw takes place in Paris on Saturday 12 December with play-off game still yet to be decided.

Last night a friend was franticly looking into hiring a camper van. I asked him how long he would hire it for, “the whole tournament” what about your job “who cares” was the reply. I wouldn’t think his wife would be happy even if he planned to take her and the kids.

The tournament is scheduled 10 June to 10 July 2016.

I like his excitement but he is not the best Welsh fan ever, cherry picking I think you call it and I can’t remember him packing his passport for a trip away with Wales but for Holland. According to him, he doesn’t care if he can’t get tickets he is going anyway I suppose many fans will be in the same position. I can see Wales myself not having any problem selling out of any ticket allocation they receive.

Everyone who knows me knows I am not the greatest fan of international football but even I was caught up in the excitement of the games looking forward to Wales qualifying. No usual post this week bemoaning the fact Cardiff City didn’t have a league game I was content to give Welsh football the limelight.

The France 2016 Panini sticker book could be more popular than usual especially in Wales with the Welsh team and players between the covers. I may even collect myself. I can’t swap in the playground but I am sure I could find a nerdy website to help with swaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment