Tuesday 12 June 2018

Curry is Great but it took awhile


After a bit of a fall yesterday I was in no position to go shopping so decided to plum for a takeaway it seemed the only thing to do and wifey Glenys was soon in agreement so a Chinese was on the cards.

It got me thinking about my first ever curry, it was a taste not a full on meal and was a relative easy memory. We had a Restaurant called “The Bombay” we called them Curry Houses nothing like today for a take-out. If you wanted a take-out/takeaway you had to front up with a saucepan (for the curry) and a large dish (for the rice) I did the Bombay run but not for my family I think mum and dad thought it was a bit to exotic for our table.

I sometimes went with friends bothering who ever for a taste can’t say I was won over instantly but I did persuade mum to buy me one of those Vesta (Beef Curry with rice) meal that could have been a mistake. A "Vesta Curry" was the height of sophistication it was highly advertised on TV and in practically every magazine on the market. You couldn’t turn a page without an ad for Vesta.

Mother was horrified at the thought of food from a box she always cooked everything from scratch but I simply wanted to sample it as I never had boil in the bag food before. It was ruddy awful I remember binning it but telling mum it was great. It was not until my brother, I found a taste for the British delicacy mum switched to the idea but mum being mum she learnt to knock one up from scratch, and it was bloody great.

The first time I when to a Indian restaurant I would go for the English option on the menu which was usually Chicken and Chips, sad or what but it pissed off my then girlfriend no end. If I was drunk out with mates I could find myself ordering a drunken curry. In fact, another girl friend switched me back on to the curry my future wife. The great occasion happened in the Indo Cymru. We were with my brother his former wife and my young sister I went for my normal English dish while Glen had a curry but feeling unwell she prepared to leave most of it but I took umbrage to the decision and vacuumed it up myself no waste here.

I have never had an English dish in an Indian restaurant ever again.

I like making curries with Chicken and in the slow cooker as a rule were you can just throw all the ingredients and let it cook/stew together for eight hours my lips are all moist thinking about it. Later in the week, I will be making a curry with special main ingredient.

No comments:

Post a Comment