Thursday 28 June 2018

Wales needs its own Red Top newspapers


This morning while ploughing through pages and pages of excitement about the English football team I am beginning to think Wales needs a morning newspaper. I know we have the “Western Mail” but have you read it recently – boring comes to mind and the other papers like my local effort “The Echo” is just as bad. Although both papers mentioned are morning papers I leave them in the newspaper rack more times than not.

We need our own red top paper along the lines of the Mirror, Sun or Star that are call national papers but are really English dominated.

The elite, people who somehow believe they are superior so read “The Times” or “Guardian” and regard red tops working class rubbish, tabloid media . Until The Times went subscription I would read it daily on line and still read the Guardian and others via the internet. Still I like reading physical papers, turning pages is still a turn on for me the same as books.

You would be surprised how many papers have Scottish additions of London based papers like the Scottish Sun for instants and others why not Wales. Is this country unworthy? I remember The Daily Mirror would put the Welsh dragon on their masthead on their Sunday edition but don’t get excited the only difference between the two was in the sports section and it no longer happens.

I think there is a place for a Welsh national red top newspaper in English, as I do not think a Welsh language addition would work for now. It would prioritise Welsh stories covering Wales with politics, news, general life, television, celebrity and of course sports. If we want to be a country we need a truly national paper to add a different slant of Wales then the Western Mail and the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment